SAANYS is pleased to announce a PRECONFERENCE DAY dedicated entirely to assistant principals and newer school leaders in any role (i.e. principals, IT, essential service leaders, directors) to be held on Saturday, October 17, the day before the SAANYS Annual Conference at the Otesaga Resort in Cooperstown.
This day of professional learning and connecting is devoted entirely to issues that impact you: keynotes, roundtables, mini-ed camp, and the opportunity to meet colleagues from all over New York State.
Topics suited to your role and career goals will include:
• navigating district culture and politics
• building trust and relationships
• nitty gritty for those of you who handle discipline, such as
– balancing consequences with restorative practices
– dealing with pressure around handling of disciplinary issues
– considerations for special education students
– communicating with students and families
• the principal/assistant principal relationship
• getting better at difficult conversations
• onboarding and preparing for the principalship
• “Do This, Not That” strategies for building a professional reputation
and avoiding common pitfalls
• using your local unit and SAANYS resources for support
• managing time and email
• improving your skills with teacher feedback around instruction
• taking care of yourself; managing stress
• APPR and getting to tenure; certification questions
• connecting with mentors
• assistant principal as a career choice
• special challenges facing IT and essential service leaders
• Registration – $125 includes light breakfast and lunch.
• Hotel reservation – please visit www.otesaga.com and enter group code 2792334 ($185 a night); or nearby Holiday Inn Suites, please call 607-547-8000 and mention SAANYS Conference group rate.
Room blocks will open April 7.
Click here to download a flier.