Government Relations Updates
Click on the date to view the complete update.
- – This program is intended to support student exploration of historical records in New York’s repositories
- A new study by Goldhaber, Kane, McEachin, Morton, Patterson, and Staiger (May 2022), examined the disparities between incidence and impact of remote/ hybrid instruction during the pandemic.
- – This memo to the field explains an additional graduation option for students.
- – This document clarifies questions regarding the above field memo.
- – This form needs to be submitted by the school district to SED, for students who have been approved for a special determination.
Board of Regents P12 Subcommittee Items:
- Requirements for Issuing a Special Determination to Graduate with a Local Diploma
- Issuing Diplomas to Students in Confinement
Higher Education Items:
- S.9113-a/A.10502 – The Red Flag Law is expanded to allow multiple categories of mental health practitioners, who have examined an individual within six months, to make a petition to the courts.
- S.9458/A.10503 – Bans the sale of semiautomatic rifles to anyone under the age of 21 by requiring a license.
- S.9407-b/A.10497 – Prohibits the sale of body vests for anyone not working in an eligible profession.
- S.4116-a/A.7926-a – Requires the Division of Criminal Justice Services to examine the technology of micro-stamping for pistols, and if the technology is viable, to require semi-automatic pistols to be micro-stamped-enabled in New York.
- S.9456/A.10504 – Expands the definition of a firearm to include any weapon not defined in the Penal Law that is designed to be converted to expel a projectile through the use of an explosive.
- S.89-b/A.6716-a – Would also create a crime of making a threat of mass harm.
- S.4511-a/A.7865 – Requires social media to provide clear polices on how they respond to incidents of “hateful conduct” on their platforms.
- – Information indicating that 10 NYCRR 2.62 has been extended through 6/30/22.
- – This new guidance replaces the former guidance of March 1, 2022.
- – This revised chart replaces the March 1, 2022 chart.
- Frequently Asked Questions on Cancellation of Regents Examination in United States History and Government (Framework)
- U.S. History and Government Regents exam canceled.
- SAANYS Government Relations Committee Meeting with Commissioner Rosa – topics included end-of-year concerns, student mental health, state assessments, and attendance.
- – Requires all NYS Police to be trained and instructed on how to file an application for an extreme risk protection order in keeping with the Red Flag Law.
- – These plans include high-tech security tools, entry control and video systems, and emergency classroom notification systems.
- Refresher on the Red Flag Law