Action by NYS Assembly on Regents Reform Agenda
On Wednesday, March 5, after hours of debate, the State Assembly passed a far-reaching bill relating to multiple planks of the Board of Regents’ education reform agenda. The bill – A-8929 – addresses the following points
- APPR high stakes for teachers and principals,
- Student high stakes in connection with common core-aligned assessments,
- Reducing field testing and releasing more test items,
- Standardized APPR assessments for students k-2,
- Standardized assessments for students in pre-kindergarten,
- Common Core professional development,
- Personally identifiable information, and more.
Although the bill is not perfect, SAANYS found the preponderance of its voluminous provisions to be consistent with our positions, and there are no provisions with which we are categorically opposed. Any shortcomings have been addressed by including recommendations. We thought that you may be interested in some of the details of the bill, and so our legislative review is attached to this communication.
We hope that you will find the attached review informative. We will continue to keep you updated. All the best. …Jim Viola