The information below was brought to my attention by SAANYS President Elect, John McKenna. The information includes a link to the Request for Qualifications (RFQ) issued by the State Education Department on August 28 in connection with optional supplemental assessments that may be collectively bargained by teacher and administrator collective bargaining units for the Student Performance Category under §3012-d. The RFQ will also impact student learning objectives (SLOs) under the §3012-d APPR system.
- If an optional supplemental assessment is NOT included in collective bargaining agreements, the state-provided growth scores or student learning objectives will be weighted 100 percent in determining the HEDI rating for the Student Performance Category.
- If an optional supplemental assessment IS included in collective bargaining agreements, weighting may be determined through CBA negotiation (i.e., a minimum 50 percent weighting of state-provided growth scores or SLOs, and up to a 50 percent weighting on the optional assessment subcomponent).
The 50-page RFQ indicates that eligible applicants include vendors, school districts and BOCES; and that the window for the submission of applications begins today, August 31. In addition, questions and answers will be posted October 1, 2015, and will be updated on a quarterly basis.
Please keep in mind that there are a number of steps that must be completed before a list of SLO and supplementary assessments may be established. It is also important to note that the Board of Regents passed the APPR Emergency regulations on June 16 and took 70 calendar days to issue the RFQ. Here’s what still needs to be done in regard to the supplementary/SLO assessments:
1. Districts, BOCES and vendors must determine whether to apply under the RFQ.
2. Some districts, BOCES and vendors will apply under the RFQ.
3. SED will receive, review and approve/disapprove RFQ applications.
4. SED will develop a list of approved supplementary assessments and post the list.
5. Districts and BOCES will consider this information for the development of CBAs for teachers and for principals.
6. The due date for submitting the successor APPR Plan under §3012-d is October 1 (and alternatively, the timeline for the submission of a hardship time extension is October 1 to 31).
This means that steps 1 through 6 must be completed within 31 days from now – counting weekends and holidays.
We are informed that some school districts and BOCES are pressing collective bargaining units to complete the negotiation of CBAs under §3012-d. School districts and BOCES, however, still do NOT have all the information needed to completely negotiate your successor collective bargaining agreements. DO continue to meet with school district/BOCES negotiators. Do NOT be pressured to prematurely enter into an agreement that will likely poorly serve you and your colleagues. The lack of information is NOT owing to any inaction by school districts and BOCES; it is directly tied to statutory and regulatory provisions and the untimely release of implementation procedures.
We hope that you will find this information helpful. We will continue to keep you updated. All the best. …Jim Viola
From: “EDUCATOREVAL” <EDUCATOREVAL@NYSED.GOV>
Date: August 28, 2015 at 4:03:17 PM EDT
Subject: *URGENT* NYSED Teacher and Principal Evaluation Assessment RFQ Release
Reply-To: “EDUCATOREVAL” <EDUCATOREVAL@NYSED.GOV>
The New York State Education Department (SED) is now accepting applications for qualifications for supplemental assessments and corresponding growth models and/or assessments for use with student learning objectives (SLOs) to be used by New York State school districts and Boards of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES) in teacher and principal evaluations as part of their implementation of the Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR) system.
The Qualifications for Supplemental Assessments and Corresponding Growth Models and/or Assessments for Use with SLOs to be used by New York State School Districts and Boards of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES) in Teacher and Principal Evaluations RFQ is posted on our website at: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/compcontracts/compcontracts.html#rfq15001